Nördliche Fränkische Alb Mostly sport climbing8,696 routes in crag
First time here?
theCrag.com is a free guide for rock climbing areas all over the world, collaboratively edited by keen rock climbers, boulderers and other nice folks.
You can log all your routes, connect and chat with other climbers and much more...
Get directions to here using Google Maps
one of the biggest sportclimbing areas after Sächsische Schweiz in Germany.
Limestone - not very sharp. Different character and often with pockets. Almost single pitch sport climbing, but not always good protected. Nuts and slings could be very useful.
Seasonal closures for protected birds: http://www.ig-klettern.com/natur/sperrungen.php
- Zone 1: NO climbing
- Zone 2: climbing on existing routes
- Zone 3: new route possible, but first read http://www.ig-klettern.com/natur/neutourenappell.php
Please respect signs and zoning list (http://www.ig-klettern.com/natur/zonierung.php)
There is not only one approach to Nördlicher Frankenjura. It depends where you want to climb and where you want to have your "base camp". The main city Nürnberg in the south west offers airport and railway connections to everythere. Public transport VGN (http://www.vgn.de/en/home?Edition=en) covers the most climbing areas.
These are the important railway stations for this area: - R3 to Hersbruck, Neuhaus and Pegnitz - S1 til Hersbruck (R41 Etzelwang) - R21 Gräfenberg - R22 Ebermannstadt - R2/S1 Bamberg Then you have to change to bus or bicycle. E.g. pegnitz valley could good reached by R3.
Overview map: http://www.vgn.de/en/maps/vgn/topographic?Edition=en
But some areas bad connected with public transport. So maybe it's better to stay inside your favourite area and maybe have car to travel around.
Where to stay
- The limestone is soft - please clean your shoes from dirt in order to avoid polished handholds and steps.
- Don't toprope directly through bolt - use your own carabiner.
- Clean chalk and tickmarks with a brush.
- Don't leave toilet paper
- Pick up rubbish
- No noise
- No camp fire and bivvy
- Park considerately (tractor should be able to pass also at weekend)
- Smoking in the forests is forbidden from 1. march til 31. october by law.
- No publishing of boulder blocks http://felsinfo.alpenverein.de/images/felsfotos/22/boulderappell_nfj.pdf
There are no open trips for this crag
Learn about trips.