Nördliche Fränkische Alb Mostly Sport climbing9,535 routes in crag
First time here?theCrag.com is a free guide for rock climbing areas all over the world, collaboratively edited by keen rock climbers, boulderers and other nice folks.You can log all your routes, connect and chat with other climbers and much more...» go exploring, » learn more or » ask us a question
Get directions to here using Google Maps.
Limestone - not very sharp. Good Variety and often with pockets. Almost all single pitch sport climbing, but not always good protected. Nuts and slings could be very useful.
Seasonal closures for protected birds: http://www.ig-klettern.com/natur/sperrungen.php
- Zone 1: NO climbing
- Zone 2: climbing on existing routes
- Zone 3: new route possible
Please respect signs and zoning list
The Frankenjura covers a big area, It depends where you want to climb and where you want to have your "base camp". The main city Nürnberg in the south west offers airport and railway connections to many crags. Public transport: VGN (http://www.vgn.de/en/home?Edition=en) is your only option.
These are the important railway stations for this area: - R3 to Hersbruck, Neuhaus and Pegnitz - S1 til Hersbruck (R41 Etzelwang) - R21 Gräfenberg - R22 Ebermannstadt - R2/S1 Bamberg Then you have to change to bus or bicycle. E.g. pegnitz valley could good reached by R3.
Overview map: http://www.vgn.de/en/maps/vgn/topographic?Edition=en
But some areas are poorly connected with public transport. (not much has happened since the medieval ages)Most people will have car to travel around.
Where to stay
- The limestone is soft - please clean your shoes from dirt in order to avoid polished handholds and steps.
- Don't toprope directly through bolt - use your own carabiner.
- Clean chalk and tickmarks with a brush.
- Don't leave toilet paper
- Pick up rubbish
- No noise
- No camp fire and bivvy
- Park considerately (tractor should be able to pass also at weekend)
- Smoking in the forests is forbidden from 1. march til 31. october by law.
- No publishing of boulder blocks http://felsinfo.alpenverein.de/images/felsfotos/22/boulderappell_nfj.pdf
Check out what is happening in Nördliche Fränkische Alb.