Nördliche Fränkische Alb Mostly sport climbing8,748 routes in crag
Did you know?
Did you know that you can create an account to record, track and share your climbing ascents? Thousands of climbers are already doing this.
Get directions to here using Google Maps
the biggest sportclimbing area in Germany.
Limestone - not very sharp. Good Variety and often with pockets. Almost all single pitch sport climbing, but not always good protected. Nuts and slings could be very useful.
Seasonal closures for protected birds: http://www.ig-klettern.com/natur/sperrungen.php
zoning concept: - Zone 1: NO climbing - Zone 2: climbing on existing routes - Zone 3: new route possible Please respect signs and zoning list
The Frankenjura covers a big area, It depends where you want to climb and where you want to have your "base camp". The main city Nürnberg in the south west offers airport and railway connections to many crags. Public transport: VGN (http://www.vgn.de/en/home?Edition=en) is your only option.
These are the important railway stations for this area: - R3 to Hersbruck, Neuhaus and Pegnitz - S1 til Hersbruck (R41 Etzelwang) - R21 Gräfenberg - R22 Ebermannstadt - R2/S1 Bamberg Then you have to change to bus or bicycle. E.g. pegnitz valley could good reached by R3.
Overview map: http://www.vgn.de/en/maps/vgn/topographic?Edition=en
But some areas are poorly connected with public transport. (not much has happened since the medieval ages)Most people will have car to travel around.
Where to stay
- The limestone is soft - please clean your shoes from dirt in order to avoid polished handholds and steps.
- Don't toprope directly through bolt - use your own carabiner.
- Clean chalk and tickmarks with a brush.
- Don't leave toilet paper
- Pick up rubbish
- No noise
- No camp fire and bivvy
- Park considerately (tractor should be able to pass also at weekend)
- Smoking in the forests is forbidden from 1. march til 31. october by law.
- No publishing of boulder blocks http://felsinfo.alpenverein.de/images/felsfotos/22/boulderappell_nfj.pdf
Check out what is happening in Nördliche Fränkische Alb.