Hello!

First time here?

theCrag.com is a free guide for rock climbing areas all over the world, collaboratively edited by keen rock climbers, boulderers and other nice folks.

You can log all your routes, connect and chat with other climbers and much more...

» Go exploring, » Learn more or » Ask us a question

Summary

All grades to 8c+ available, but notably extremely high quality routes from 6b+ to 8a+ (and lots of them) in an idyllic Greek island setting.

Description

The world's current most popular sport climbing holiday destination.

Picking when to go depends on many factors. The winter months (December - March) enjoy very mild temperatures (average maximum of 14-16C) but this is the wet season and it will usually rain on 9-13 days per month. Locals rave about climbing on nice winter days though, if your schedule allows for sitting out a few winter storms, and the fact that all the shops will be shut. Later in the wet season, seepage can be heavy and this prevents climbing on most flowstone routes (which many people consider to be the best routes), and this is a significant factor during the months of January-March, and also April if rainfall was above average. If you want to swim, the water is too cold (<19C) during the months of November to April. By May the seepage should be mostly gone, and swimming should be ok, but the average maximum temperature is up to 24C and the sun is nearly at its hottest which can enforce shade chasing, and the crowds are sizable (albeit half those in October). Then summer hits, and the average maximum temperature is over 28C during the months of June - September, which for most people rules out a dedicated climbing holiday, but is reportedly a great time if you are happy to climb early, and to mix in some swimming and sailing which are at their best. September - November has good air temps, mostly good water temps, and no seepage, but this is offset by having by far the biggest crowds and queues at the crags.

Approach

You will walk to 60% of the crags and hire a scooter for the other 40%. Note new laws have been introduced in 2015 requiring that you must have a motorbike license in your home country if you wish to validly hire a scooter in Kalymnos. Some operators are already enforcing this (they have insurance problems if they don't). Others will still hire scooters on the basis of a driver's license, but probably not for long. If you do hire a scooter, take it easy: tonnes of people come off.

Where to stay

Any of the countless studios in Massouri.

Ethic

Full bolted sport climbing with a documented bolting standard.

History

Developed very recently, compared to most European climbing destinations; mostly within a span of 10 years.

Tags

Areas

Add subarea(s) Add topo Resequence Bulk edit
Name
Style
Climbs
Ticks
Height
Grades
Emporios Crag
119
135
27m
121
305
26m
2
262
469
26m
6
Arginonta Crag
497
786
29m
5
Armeos Crag
771
3,790
28m
6
Telendos Crag
258
283
32m
Myrties Crag
28
15
43m
Kamari Crag
55
304
23m
Kandouni Crag
91
29
24m
Pythari Sector
10
0
26m
Panormos Crag
29
0
32m
Chora Crag
22
75
28m
Vlichadia Unknown
10
0
14m
Vathi Area
135
81
26m

Open trips

There are no open trips for this crag

Learn about trips.