Index
Help

Discussion: Kid friendly crags

• Started: 5 months ago on Wed 21st Mar 2018

Public discussion This is a public discussion in Bulahdelah.

Za started this discussion 5 months ago.

Kid friendly crags

Are there any kid friendly crags at bulahdelah ?

Neil Monteith replied 5 months ago.

Climbs for kids to do - or crags that are safe for small kids to play at the bottom? Im no expert on Buladelah but generally the cliffs are safe for kids with no big drop-offs or loose rocks. Keep an eye out for leeches and ticks. Not sure if there are any easy routes suitable for kids.

replied 5 months ago.

80% of climbs at Bulahdelah are still officially closed. Leaving only beehive, cave and fiegs overhang. The walk in is about 30 minutes minimum and is rough over talus on overgrown paths with lantana. Leeches and ticks are present. The beehive area is the only one with a flattish base. lots of loose rocks and lots of drop offs and unstable belay areas ( lots of old mines and quarries). The cave has a 20 m grade 6 scramble into it. No kids routes really, except maybe a grade 8 put up on carrots by John Hollott, below The terrace ( it is on here)

Za replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

replied 5 months ago.

I am trying to chase up Forestry about where they are with their POM, but even if we get the state forest side open again one day it's a pretty stiff walk uphill to the nearest routes. Most of the areas have rough approaches

Za replied 5 months ago.

I travel to Sydney alot for work so i was just looking for an easy spot to have a climb on the way down in that area. I find with my little girl a 20min walk takes an hour. So probably Bulahdelah is not suitable. If you know of anywhere good to climb with easy access, that is what I am looking for. I climb at coffs alot because there are some great crags with short walk in. Thanks again for the feedback.

replied 5 months ago.

the central coast has lots of very kid friendly areas without too much of a diversion. ( phegans, Bogas cave, drive in and lots of bouldering.....eg the roadhouse. Port Stephens is probably too much of a diversion, the approaches are quite short, though, and again more bouldering than route climbs. Most route areas require a scramble into them and are low sea options only, eg iris Moore, one mile/ Morna Point. I keep looking at geo maps thinking there has to be something between Coffs and Bulahdelah worth climbing.

Za replied 5 months ago.

Thanks, i will check out bogas cave.

Showing all 8 messages.