Help

Discussion: Cable Dogbone For Starting Bolt of Fruitbat

• Started: 5 years ago on Tue 3rd Jul 2018

Public discussion This is a public discussion in Mt Coolum.

Alex Maddock started this discussion 5 years ago.

Cable Dogbone For Starting Bolt of Fruitbat

Would anyone be concerned if I threw in a cable dogbone on Fruitbat for the first bolt?

Seeing as it's a frequented route I'm happy to pay for the items if it makes it just that bit safer for everyone. Currently the draws that were there have been removed and I'm thinking of donating a set for the route, but a dogbone with steel maillon for the start means an additional biner to wear through in the long run.

Let me know your thoughts please.

Rob Medlicott replied 5 years ago.

Generally, on a route with perma-draws, the first bolt doesn’t get one, so it is easier to stick-clip. I never thought Fruitbat would need draws on it though. It’s not hard to put them on and take them off, is it? At least it wasn’t last time i was there (5 years ago).

Alex Maddock replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Rob, I have seen fruit bat lined with draws, and only recently been clean.

I noticed some of the more popular routes have a cable draw, and figured fruit bat gets hit quite often. Does it make much harder to stick clip with a cable draw?

replied 5 years ago.

It just means you have to either own a proper stick clip or do the annoying bunny ears thing if the first draw is on, but if it's not you can just put your own draw on which is typically much easier.

Dave Cook replied 5 years ago.

Coolum is basically a christmas tree decorated with quickdraws so I don't see why not.

Matt Schimke replied 5 years ago.

Are the ‘no quickdraws left if the stickclip can reach’ rules still in place?

I believe those were the rules NP’s were happy with. I don’t climb up that way much anymore but it would be a shame if people slowly start disobeying again and NP’s start the process of threatening closure.

Will Monks replied 5 years ago.

+1

Eww replied 5 years ago.

I had a look yesterday and plenty of draws were under stickclip height. Great spot! Gotta go back with sticky boots and the other equipments to have a try!

Alex Maddock replied 5 years ago.

Yes draws are there for peoples projects and to share of course. I don't think the NP have made any noise and they know people are respectful so can't see it being an overbearing concern.

Dane Evans replied 5 years ago.

And that attitude is why we’ll lose access

Andrew Clark replied 5 years ago.

Doesn't the first draw get more wear too from lowering at an angle, hence it would be safer if people used their own draws on that bolt?

Jimmy Blackhall replied 5 years ago.

Coolum is an eyesore in terms of how many draws are there. Here in the Canadian Rockies they would get stripped weekly. Because of “leave no trace” or at least trying to invoke minimalism on nature, one should definitely not have permadraws on all routes. Keep project draws up yes and just clean when finished. Easy. Are we that lazy now that we can’t clean a good dam 7m climb? Cmon guys, it’s starting to look ridiculous how many are there. Last time I visited home a few months ago it really did look very very messy. I have hope!!

Matt Schimke replied 5 years ago.

+1

Showing all 13 messages.

You are not part of this discussion.