This is a public discussion in Caves Route Sector .

Invite:

Showing all 18 messages

started this discussion 1 years ago

New Yellow marks on Caves Route

Yellow tape marks on the Caves Route are:

1. act of vandalism and visual pollution in a NP

2. unethical to the climbing history of this classic and FA

3. misleading since the marks lead 3 times off-route

zac replied 1 years ago

can the panit be removed

replied 1 years ago

Is fluorescent yellow heavy duty tape. The kind used in construction sites, easy to remove on rock fortunately. The increase of traffic up and down the eastern face (thanks also to recent addition of safety hardware) will inevitably bring diverse climbing culture, including people who will mark the rock on classics like this one.

Tom Reid replied 1 years ago

Just make a post on Facebook or something whoever goes up there next to remove the tape

replied 1 years ago

I removed the tape from the rock and trees up to the scrub leaving just a couple in dodgy places since I was alone and unroped. The marks continue up toward "big empty" area. I'll clean them next time I'm heading that way. I don't have FB and posted here hoping the person who marked the route understands that this actions on a classic route are very poor, not to mention the danger that misleading signage could deliver to less-experienced climbers.

Tom Reid replied 1 years ago

Good work Cris, Hopefully the word gets out.

replied 7 months ago

Thanks Cris. I see weird stuff often on the run up to summit caves. Quietly making it disappear is a good policy.

Michael Jansen replied 6 weeks ago

Had the same thing up beerwah not long ago pulled off pink ribbons till all my pockets and bag was full of them and there was still lots everywhere from the initial walk

replied 6 weeks ago

Ribbons and paint marks: SES people I heard.

Oh surely not every tree on the way up

But in that case whoops I guess

replied 6 weeks ago

I don't think SES or rangers is a good excuse to vandalize a public asset such a NP, in my modest opinion. There are better ways to mark an hiking route

daniel heggie replied 6 weeks ago

Went up Caves Route today. Didn't see any markers. There were a few scratched arrows early in the first pitch. I had trouble finding the carpark....it only added to the adventure.

replied 6 weeks ago

The markers up caves were removed time ago. We could put yellow tape to find the carpark though :-)

Lachlan replied 5 weeks ago

Michael, was the pink tape removed while trying to get to Wayne's World? A friend and I tried to find it on the weekend following the guide on this site (and in the SE QLD climbers guide) and we couldn't find the 'faint trail marked with pink ribbons'. I guess that is why.

brent replied 5 weeks ago

Nar the pink ribbons were on the way to east Beerwah. I got lost trying to find Wayne's World as well.

Michael Jansen replied 5 weeks ago

Yeah I took it off a pretty obvious trail leading to east beerwah not exaggerating when I say nearly every tree along well walked track

Corinnedol replied 3 weeks ago

No markings on the track in until you hit the tree which you cant miss double lines. Went part way up and little to no markings after the first 20 odd mtrs. Pink tape on tree's is near all gone. Followed my nose for the best part before I lost light and turned back. The odd pink bits totally hidden on the descent.

Already got an account? Login to add your comment

Showing all 18 messages

Sponsors