Help

Discussion: Tourbus Boulder - Face fallen off

• Started: 10 weeks ago on Sat 30th May 2020

Public discussion This is a public discussion in Tourbus Boulders.

Adrian Yeet started this discussion 10 weeks ago.

Tourbus Boulder - Face fallen off

Hi All,

When I rocked up to Tourbus boulder in You Yangs yesterday I was surprised to find half the face had completely fallen off, leaving pretty much rubble in its place.

As a result, 6 climbs are now gone. I have removed the topo to prevent other climbers being mislead and thinking those climbs are still available. However I am reaching out to the community to understand the etiquette of deleting the previously created routes. Should I delete the previously available routes? Is that even possible? Would this impact other users ascent records?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Adrian

@dalai replied 10 weeks ago.

Rather than delete the topo, I would have just edited the text for each problem to explain rockfall had removed the line.

Deleting the problems would impact user records and not even sure deleting problems is possible unless Admin.

I see the lines have histocal merit and think they should stay

Matt Pelekanos replied 10 weeks ago.

Yes please don't delete as future explorers won't know the history. Just add update

Adrian Yeet replied 10 weeks ago.

Thank you for the clarification and prompt responses. I will update rather than delete in future instances.

Definitely would have been a surprise!

Adrian Yeet replied 10 weeks ago.

Very much so, lucky no one was there when it happened! There was also a fallen tree on top making one of the other climbs tricky to top out, I suspect it may have had something to do with the rock face coming off as well.

Matt Pelekanos replied 10 weeks ago.

I guess now whoever is keen can clean up the new face and get some new variations done!

replied 10 weeks ago.

The previous users are correct, please do not delete any (further) data, even if these climbs don't seem particularly historically relevant.

There isn't a clear functionality to use in this case, like the 'archive' one for gym route.

My proposal would be to segregate the impacted climbs (or nodes) from the area in either a sector or an annotation, and explain what happened.

replied 10 weeks ago.

Yeah annotation would be best IMO. i haven't been to this area yet; so might go out and have a look this week.

zac replied 7 weeks ago.

You should not delete anything including topo

zac replied 7 weeks ago.

Adrian Yeet please put the topo back

replied 7 weeks ago.

I doubt it needs a topo. if you visit the site, it's pretty easy to identify the climbs that are still there.

zac replied 7 weeks ago.

But for history reason the old topo will be great that face is gone never to be seen again bar that picture

@dalai replied 7 weeks ago.

Agree it would have been good to keep for its historic value. Unfortunately pretty certain deleting topos is a hard delete and not just hidden.

replied 7 weeks ago.

It's an extraordinarily shitty boulder, even for yy standards!, history is preserved by the route descriptions, not a topo of climbs no longer there!

Charles B replied 7 weeks ago.

I'm not familiar with this area, but I found this via the wayback machine. Is this the topo in question? https://static.thecrag.com/img/853x640/filters:rotate(270)/a8/d6/a8d6eb6368f908da5737c9bc069dbfeb40ac335b

@dalai replied 7 weeks ago.

Nice find Charles! No wonder it fell off! As it looks now -

Matt Pelekanos replied 7 weeks ago.

Charles B yep that's my original photo form 2012. Bloody hell, that's a lot of material that fell off!

replied 7 weeks ago.

Note the tree! The tree was chopped down by road crews (chainsaw cut); it looks pretty likely that the sudden impact of the falling tree may have been the cause.

zac replied 7 weeks ago.

Holy crap! Glad there is still a picture around!

Matt Pelekanos replied 7 weeks ago.

Glad it took a force like that to dislodge the rock. Wouldn't be cool if it was a person

Showing all 22 messages.

You are not part of this discussion.