Help

Discussion: Register routes cassic/artificial

• Started: 9 weeks ago on Wed 25th Nov 2020

Public discussion This is a public discussion in World.

Alfonso started this discussion 9 weeks ago.

Register routes cassic/artificial

Hi, I want to ask if there is any way to indicate in the same route, the grade if you free climb it and the grade diference if you do it on artificial.

The example will be this route where I just indicate the Artificial Climbing grade in the coments.

https://www.thecrag.com/es/escalar/spain/la-cabrera/route/4041183408

Cheers

replied 9 weeks ago.

Hi Alfonso,

at the moment, there's no way to get two grades to show up.

You can give an alternative grade using the notation 7b+ [6b A0], but it is currently not shown anywhere, and additionally the parser doesn't work properly for multipitch routes.

There's a github issue on that topic here: https://github.com/theCrag/website/issues/3375

So giving the aid grades in the description is currently the best you can do, I think.

Best, Christoph

replied 9 weeks ago.

Yes correct Christoph Rauch (although the multi-pitch issue will be fixed with next release).

What some do is record the route twice, once as Aid route and once as eg Trad route. That way you can log the style you climbed it and it gets displayed correctly on your profile.

Ultimately, this should be solved differently though

replied 9 weeks ago.

Ulfi thanks for the heads up.

In cases like the one by Alfonso above, recording the route twice is not an option imho. Most people probably free all pitches except for maybe the 7b+ and 7a pitches. So ultimately, the style of the route should stay "Sport", not "Aid", and arguably if you just skip the hard moves, even the pitches with aid should be considered sport.

replied 9 weeks ago.

Thanks Christoph Rauch - this use case will be solved using ascent (or what we call CPR) types. In some way it is similar to a pink point of a trad route becoming a sports ascent... You may also free-climb an Aid Route and then it would be a sport / trad ascent and not an aid....

Alfonso replied 9 weeks ago.

Thanks to you all.

And Christoph Rauch on that note which kind of climb would you said the route on the example would be? Cause in that case the pitch of 7b+ and 7a had parabolt (so as you has guessed it is sport climbing) but the rest of the pitches need to be protected with friends and nuts.

I register the route as trad climbing but I don't know if there is any way to specify which pitches are trad and witch are sport climbing.

Alfonso replied 9 weeks ago.

Also on another note I don't know if in any future version the type of climb could be changed by the user. Cause so far there is an option to specify the grade of the pitch if you think that it is nit correct or just to specify which line do you climb, as there are some pitches that depending if you use an specific hold would be considered one grade or another while the route is the same one.

So just my suggestion it could be nice to have the same option to specify the way you climb a route, which could me helpful for example in the present case or when you do a sport route using you own protection.

replied 9 weeks ago.

Alfonso: Ah, I didn't remember that it was a trad climb. I think for the specific route above, "trad" is completely fine. Look at Australia, for example, where quite a few trad climbs have single bolts in small sections that are impossible to protect.

replied 8 weeks ago.

Ulfi Please, also include ascent type: elevator =)

https://youtu.be/reLdsZfmyIc

replied 8 weeks ago.

Showing all 10 messages.

You are not part of this discussion.