Help

Discussion: Negative Family tags

• Started: 10 years ago on Sun 5th Jan 2014

Public discussion This is a public discussion in Tagging forum.

Melwin Quacke started this discussion 10 years ago.

Negative Family tags

It may be useful to tag a crag explicitly as "not suitable for kids" because a missing "Kid friendly" may mean "unknown" or "not friendly" (as already implemented with "camping" and "no camping"). As for dogs, my canophobe preference would be to set "not suitable for dogs" as default ;-) (I guess others would advocate this for the Kids-tag instead).

Btw, does tagging earn karma? I did not note this, but sometimes it comes up quite delayed.

replied 10 years ago.

Yes tagging earns Karma. For value see:

http://www.thecrag.com/article/CragKarma

It should be a seven day delay before your Karma is finalised.

replied 10 years ago.

Melwin you can see what karma you have earned but not yet received here:

https://www.thecrag.com/climber/melwin/karma

This is kinda a hidden url, we'll expose it better shortly.

On the topic on new tags, I'm cool with adding new tags, although I would have thought kids and dogs around cliffs = a bad idea, would be a sensible idea default, ie assume "unknown = no kids and no dogs"

Melwin Quacke replied 10 years ago.

I was just kidding about the defaults. Of course, the reasonable mental default is not to bring any small critters, human or not. However, being blessed with kids and cursed with vertical obsession and time constraints, I will often visit a crag with my kids and turn around, if it is unfeasible. A negative tag would save me this kind of test.

replied 3 years ago.

Currently, some tags have a negative/antonym tag, some don't. For the latter kind, users can only see "someone tagged AND it's kind friendly" but they can't distinguish between "not kid friendly" and "noone cared about the tag so far", i.e. we do not have the tri state Boolean yes/no/undefined for all tags but it would be useful. This is not only true for kids' tag. In last weeks, I stumbled several times about it, e.g. how to tell "dries quickly" (imposing "dry in rain" is false).

1. Is the data model already supporting tri state, from DB persistence to data store in presentation layer? If no, next question has a strong bias towards 2 tags.

2. Do we prefer two antonym tags or tri-state-checkboxes/-icons for tags?
    Personally, I prefer two tags because it also works fine for 4,5,6.. alternatives (think stone type) and you can simply start typing several tags in one growing text box, which is much less screen space demanding than checkboxes/icons which require that all tags need to be shown.

replied 3 years ago.

What you are asking for is to move the family kid friendly tags from a tag to a database field. I have only just been convinced that we even need the second family tag so I want to see how that goes for a while.

If we move it to a field it is likely to be four states - unknown, inert, friendly, unfriendly.

replied 3 years ago.

I just gave "not kid friendly" a try - works fine including search

Showing all 8 messages.

You are not part of this discussion.