Help

Discussion:

• Started: 7 weeks ago on Wed 17th Mar 2021

Public discussion This is a public discussion in World.

started this discussion 7 weeks ago.

This comment has been removed.

replied 7 weeks ago.

Manolo Ruiz replied 7 weeks ago.

Don't get a GriGri+, you will be just fine with the grigri2. And if you find it a little pricey you can even get a similar device from other brands (e.g. Beal Birdie)

A good harness is definitely a good idea, but if you already have one maybe you can buy other stuff first. I get this question asked a lot (what gear should I buy) and this is always my answer. It is in order of importance (I know you have some stuff already):

-Shoes

-Harness

-Quickdraws

-Rope

-Belay device

About quickdraws try to get them as long as you can and preferrably with forged gates (not wire) they are a bit more expensive but trust me they are more confortable. At least get ones that are "mixed" (one carabiner forged, one carabiner wire)

About the GriGri carabiner I would reccomend getting a locker that is not "automatic". I find them hard to open and unnecesary, they also create a bad habit of not manually closing carabiners.

Also agree with Tobias that you shoul learn how to belay with an ATC first. If you plan on buying one, get an ATC Guide or a Reverso (or similar devices from other brands) because they will be usefull later if you want to do multipitches.

Libanga replied 7 weeks ago.

I use à grigri and think the grigri+ is useless. BUT : Most of the people I see with grigri use in ways that are very dangerous. So I don’t like to be secured by someone using it. So I prefer to say to beginner to use the Smart (mammut) because it is more secure and I feel safer when they use it.

If you use the grigri, go check on YouTube what are the mistakes you can make. And forget the +.

replied 7 weeks ago.

Heh, I guess this is some sophisticated spam once again. The same username appears on many forums throughout the internet (registered only a few days ago, just google for it). One single, quite flawless post, harvesting replies. No replies by the OP. Seems to be some sort of AI effort? Please apologize if I'm wrong.

replied 7 weeks ago.

Looks like it. So weird.

Manolo Ruiz replied 7 weeks ago.

Well that's 5 minutes wasted. I hope he buys the grigri+

replied 7 weeks ago.

Mark Gamble replied 7 weeks ago.

On the surface, it appears quite genuine.

What is the purpose then, of said fishing expedition?

replied 7 weeks ago.

Manufacturing a fake identity in a hurry?

Burying other search results for that username?

replied 7 weeks ago.

Waiting for some replies, letting it sit there for a while, then edit the post and insert spam links to link farms, which then appear in the search results for ordinary questions such as “should I buy a GriGri+?”

replied 7 weeks ago.

replied 7 weeks ago.

replied 7 weeks ago.

Yes, Nicky could you take a look, please?

Mark Gamble replied 7 weeks ago.

Manolo; thx for posting, unfortunately the mountainproject link appears to have been edited and must have been removed.

The 2nd link, if anything, strengthens the argument that this is not a bot, but a real person (who in this case, is a Norwich fan).

Christoph/Nicky:

If I'd known you were going to delete the original post, I'd have cutnpasted. Now it's gone, there's no reference point.

Seems awfully contrived to sell a few GriGris? It's not like they cost $10,000 each.

replied 7 weeks ago.

They weren't trying to sell grigris. The mountainproject post had links to a site something to do with PNRs for Indian train tickets.

replied 7 weeks ago.

Mark Gamble The mountain project post had almost the same wording as the one here. The post in the second link, if you look closely, has already been edited to contain the very same links we're talking about. It's not a real person, I can assure you. You can google for the username (it was yavanzhai55) and you'll see that meanwhile there have been a few more cases already. I won't post the links publicly, because that would just help the spammers.

replied 6 weeks ago.

Manolo Ruiz thanks for picking out the links. I hope you don't mind that I delted your comments with them in it above

Mark Gamble replied 6 weeks ago.

Christoph, the mountain project link wasn't working - at least when I looked at it, so no, I didn't get to peruse it.

I did try googling the name, but I think there are some sort of inherent limiters on mobile phones or something as it kept throwing up other search results.

Anyhoo, all done & dusted now.

Showing all 19 messages.

You are not part of this discussion.