Photos
Help

Discussion: MISSING BOLT

• Started: 2 years ago on Sun 22nd Aug 2021

Public discussion This is a public discussion for 17 Sand Pit Wall Entrance.

Andrew logged a warning 2 years ago. Active

Fixed Gear MISSING BOLT

CAUTION: Second bolt is completely missing!

replied 2 years ago.

That's a fair fall with an awkward landing. You ok?

Andrew replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Scott, I came out pretty lucky. Hit the ground but thankfully the first bolt held and my belayers weight going up slowed my fall.

replied 2 years ago.

This comment has been removed.

replied 2 years ago.

Quite concerning, there are a number of routes there that were done at the same time which could have suspect bolts? (Lionel Terray , Terry Jackson? ) Do you have the bolt that failed? Any photos? Was it the glue?

Andrew replied 2 years ago.

Hi Murray, in the second image you can see the bolt with my draw still attached, with it there is a large chunk of rock which came down with the bolt. It was very brittle sandstone that could easily be crumbled in my hand. Although it's worth noting that the surface of the rock felt very solid and I wasn't doubting that any of the holds would break.

Also in the last photo at the very top of the image you can see the freshly broken patch where the bolt came from.

Removed

Removed

Wade Stewart replied 2 years ago.

Kinda looks like the holes weren’t cleaned out well before glueing?? Or maybe the rock is like sand??

replied 2 years ago.

Pretty crazy, looks like that could have been a bad bolt placement with very soft rock?

Might be worth submitting to the accident register - https://www.climbingaccidents.com.au

Showing all 8 messages.

You are not part of this discussion.