Site navigation

Discussion: The types of the areas in Frankenjura seems a bit messed up. "Frankenjura" as well as its 3 direct c Started by Anderl.

• Public discussion Frankenjura
  • Started: 2 years ago on Tue 5th Apr 2016

This is a public discussion in Frankenjura.

Showing all 15 messages.

started this discussion 2 years ago.

The types of the areas in Frankenjura seems a bit messed up. "Frankenjura" as well as its 3 direct childs are "crag", the 3 childs of the crag "Nördliche Fränkische Schweiz" are all "areas", also their childs are mostly "areas".

Wouldn't it make sense to set at least "Frankenjura" and their 3 childs to "area"?

replied 2 years ago.

I agree, this is odd and should be changed. As far as I understand the hierarchy, there shouldn't be any "area" below a "crag".

replied 2 years ago.

Yes: there shouldn't be any "area" below a "crag". +1 from my side

replied 2 years ago.

After emailing with Brendan, it seems to be ok as it is (mostly). The areas are there to split the top-level crag. In this way, its name is used for stream, stats, etc.

replied 2 years ago.

Care to elaborate a bit more what he said in the mail? The help page for area types says: "Assign Crag area types for all climbing or mixed (climbing and bouldering) nodes from a region down to a cliff, field or boulder. When in doubt, if you make it a Crag you won’t go too far wrong."

replied 2 years ago.

Well, the main question is what should be the top-level crag, displayed in stats & stream. At the moment these are the 3 childs of Frankenjura. If we make them area or region, new top-level crags would be "Richard-Wagner-Fels" or similar. Alternatively, everything below could be crag (and top-level stays as it is), but for example to make "Amberger Gebiet" a crag seems also wrong. So at the end, to split a top-level crag areas seem to be quite convenient, but it's certainly a bit abitary. Finally, another constraint is that crags should not be too large due to some internal limitations of theCrag, especially when having lots of topos.

For me the main question is now whether the current top-level crags are a good choice, or if we want to move them to something "smaller"?

replied 5 months ago.

I also have some thoughts about the Frankenjura node. When sticking to the area types below the crag level of "Nördliche Fränkische Alb" is alright, I would further suggest that the primary name of the northern part of Frankenjura could be changed to something more recognizable or that the primary and the secondary names are swapped, because "Nördliche Fränkische Alb" is often just referred to as "Frankenjura" (for instance, the most popular guide for the northern part is just named "Frankenjura 1 + 2"). That way it would be easier for all the non-germans to understand what crag it is and the entry in everyones ticklist would look nicer (imo).

I'd prefer names without any german grammatics so without "nördlichER" etc.

What do you think about these?

Frankenjura Nord

Frankenjura Mitte

Frankenjura Süd

replied 5 months ago.

Tobias Auth your proposal makes sense for me. +1

replied 5 months ago.

I also agree with the proposal and would like to make it a bit more precise; at the moment, the name plus alternative name of the three areas is:

• Nördliche Fränkische Alb / Nördlicher Frankenjura
  • Mittlere Fränkische Alb / Oberpfälzer Alb / Mittlerer Frankenjura
  • Südliche Fränkische Alb / Südlicher Frankenjura

I would change it to:

• Frankenjura Nord / Nördliche Frankenalb
  • Frankenjura Mitte / Mittlere Frankenalb / Oberpfälzer Alb
  • Frankenjura Süd / Südliche Frankenalb

in accordance with https://is.gd/a0QjA9 (Wikipedia: Naturräumliche Gliederung der Fränkischen Alb).

replied 5 months ago.

what would be the proposed name + alternates of the top level region.

at the moment it is: "Frankenjura / Frankenalb / Fränkische Alb"

replied 5 months ago.

I think that's fine. For climbing purposes, "Frankenjura" is what this area is most commonly referred to. "Fränkische Alb" is the official name, "Frankenalb" is used synonymously.

replied 5 months ago.

Alright! I changed the names for the three. Next thing I noticed is that the descriptions need a rework. "Frankenjura" is described as 2nd largest sport climbing area in germany and "Frankenjura Nord" as biggest.

replied 5 months ago.

And if you take the route count, Sächsische Schweiz is the biggest

replied 5 months ago.

Yeah, but Sächsische Schweiz is not a sport climbing area.

replied 5 months ago.

Very good point

Showing all 15 messages.

Selected sponsors