Help

Discussion: Organize crags

• Started: 6 years ago on Fri 19th Jan 2018

Public discussion This is a public discussion in Mallorca.

started this discussion 6 years ago.

Organize crags

Did anyone ever think about adding some more structure to this area? I'm thinking about adding two or more regions and move the crags below:

Opinions and vetos are welcome.

replied 6 years ago.

yes some more sub areas are fine

Tobias Auth replied 6 years ago.

Do you mean that you want to subdivide the 61 existing sectors of mallorca into 6 sub-areas? That would be good!

replied 6 years ago.

yes this is what I propose.

Melwin Quacke replied 6 years ago.

Despite having climbed in M twice, I would not know how to place but two of the proposed regions. What about some more intuitive names like "inland", "SE-coast", "North cape", ...?

Good point. Would probably be the easiest to stick with the Rockfax area subdivision.

South West, Valldemossa Area, Bunyola Area, North of the Mountains, South of the Mountains, Pollenca & Formentor, Arta Area, Felantix Area, East Coast, DWS

replied 6 years ago.

Oops too late. I don't own the Rockfax guide book and I don't like that foreign guide books ignore the tradtional landmarks. The proposed areas are common sense. Would it be sufficient to add the areas from the guide books as aliases and if not appropriate mentioning in the description?

replied 6 years ago.

Melwin Quacke Llevant for example means more or leass east or eastern part. So for Spanish it should be quite intuitive I always prefer to respect the local names before using the English terms.

I think there was a similar discussion for Leonidio. Will be fine that way and you're putting in the work to make it better. So thumbs up

replied 6 years ago.

I have been there several times. I think the best is to follow a bit the geography and distribution of the crags. And not too many subaraeas:

• South West
  • Tramontana
  • Cap Formentor
  • East Coast (probably split in two)

That would give a reasonable number of crags in each region. The Rockfax subdivisions are not too silly neither.

replied 6 years ago.

Mostly done. Request for comments.

replied 6 years ago.

Done.

Jef Van Alsenoy replied 6 years ago.

I'm also lacking much experience in the area, I've been there for a week once, so I don't feel like I can really contribute here, sorry

Jef Van Alsenoy replied 6 years ago.

Good initiative though, Kai (Y)

replied 6 years ago.

thanks Jef Van Alsenoy. Hope the changes are accepted by the majority.

replied 6 years ago.

That's definetly a very good start, Kai. I'll probably modify a bit the regions if I find the time. In particular, "pla" is an empty region and should probably fused, And the south-west coast deserves an own region, just from the way you get there. Same with Cap Formentor. But that's all not urgent!

Following this discussion I want to come back there for some climbing - so many memories. But the flights got so expensive...

replied 6 years ago.

I feared that somebody suggests some additional changes. I put so much effort into detailing the borders of the regions Crazy, isn't it?

Would it make sense to give Serra de Tramuntana two children "South-West" and "Cap Formentor"?

Oh regarding Pla de Mallorca, just leave it as it is. Is an empty region. This time I agree with Max Stein. If there is a region with no crags then this is just reality

You and your family are welcome to join us in June. Not the best time for climbing there but it's hopefully warm enough for the beach.

Showing all 18 messages.

You are not part of this discussion.