Help

Discussion: Bolt Access For Browns Road

• Started: 6 years ago on Sat 28th Apr 2018

Public discussion This is a public discussion in Courtyard Area.

Common Sense Bolter started this discussion 6 years ago.

Bolt Access For Browns Road

How do you safely access the carrots on top of the isolated block in the Court Yard Area of Browns Road?

Al Bradley replied 6 years ago.

You could probably throw a rope over the whole block. Anchor it on the other side..... tree or boulder then prusik up. If you think you can't get the rope over throw a weight and cord then pull the rope with that.

replied 6 years ago.

"Most routes have ring bolts on top of the block and can be accessed for top roping if roped up and stepping across." Did think about stepping across from main cliff but can't recall gap size. Sling rope to be safe as Al suggests. Can lower off rings, not all carrots.

Sam Small replied 6 years ago.

The gap from the main block isn't too bad to hop over. There is a break on the main side to put a cam or two in to make a hand line if not feeling confident with the gap. There's a chopped bolt here, from an old hand line. Could be worthwhile put 1 carrot in to protect the gap.

Sam Small replied 6 years ago.

Or solo the chimney up is another good way to get up. Relatively easy in normal shoes and carrying rope and other bits and bobs.

Common Sense Bolter replied 6 years ago.

It's been a few years since I've climbed there and only recall seeing carrots. Good to know there are RB's there.

I've looked at the gap and considered jumping however the thought of landing off balance and decking out never sat well with me. The gap is certainly small enough to do it but not worth the risk in my eyes.

Soloing up the chimney seems like a viable option.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated!

Ziggy Samways replied 6 years ago.

Can't you stick clip one of the rings at the top of the block(maybe PTT?) with a bit of static tied to a crab, from the top of pocket rocket. Then use this as a via feratta? Or just anchor a rope to pocket rocket and feed out slack from a grigri whilst you step across.

Ziggy Samways replied 6 years ago.

or just clip/dog your way up PTT. I recall the crux as being low down anyway.

Showing all 8 messages.

You are not part of this discussion.