Help

Discussion: Area closed

• Started: 4 years ago on Wed 1st Jan 2020

Public discussion This is a public discussion in Cape Woolamai.

Phil Williamson logged a warning 4 years ago. Active

Access Area closed

Access is not permitted due to unstable cliffs and penguin nesting. “No entry - penalties apply” is clearly signposted at all tracks into the area.

There is evidence of recent climbing activity (slings) on the pinnacles. In the current climate, adhering to access restrictions will protect the reputation of climbers and the sport.

Adrian Woodcraft replied 4 years ago.

What's the current fire situation on Phillip Island?

Phil Williamson replied 4 years ago.

No fire on the island itself but getting smoke from east gippsland

Adrian Woodcraft replied 4 years ago.

Okay, thanks... humour me (I'm a Queenslander) I think I've been confusing Phillip Island with Kangaroo Island, which does seem to have an out-of-control fire problem at the moment.

Matt Brooks replied 4 years ago.

Hi Phil can you please add and further information to this, has this been passed on to ACAV or the VCC. There was discussion about this a while back but there was never any official access restriction apart from people being required to remain on the access tracks. PV have an obligation to consult about such closures and their legal ability to actually restrict access to public land is highly debatable and legally questionable. Particularly without prior notice.

Ben Wright replied 4 years ago.

Hi Phil, the cliffs have always been a bit unstable, no change there. And the penguins nest at the other end of the island. What's going on?

Ben Wright replied 4 years ago.

Access is via the beach, you don't need to walk on the tracks.

I couldn’t find any online public notices stating that the area was closed for climbing. However we were stopped with our crag bags on the beach by someone from Philip Island Nature Parks who told us that there was no access to the pinnacles as a sensitive environment (again, I don’t know what authority they have - but I wasn’t about to cause a scene and be the guy to start another Grampians-esque dispute). They were pretty adamant about the penguins and that climbers had been leaving gear behind (granted that there are a lot of slings hanging around).

We put our gear back in the car and went up the cliff top walk for a look. That who area is covered in penguin cameras and signs which pretty clearly state that you are not permitted on the shoreline area - “penalties apply”

To be fair, I’m not from the island, we drove over from the peninsula for a look. I just wasn’t prepared to continue our intended climb and risk ruining it for a local.

If you are a local or have a relationship with the Philip Island Nature Park, would be interested to hear what’s going on

Showing all 9 messages.

You are not part of this discussion.